Nice Monday - Pulsar [dnb WIP]

Left you a bunch of feedback on SC...

ImpacT at 0.33 on January 12, 2011 08:24

sounds massively over compresssed to me..

ImpacT at 0.52 on January 12, 2011 08:25

beats, bass and synths work well together tho

ImpacT at 1.03 on January 12, 2011 08:25

like the daft punk style synth roll

ImpacT at 1.36 on January 12, 2011 08:26

not fond of the high pitch 'fall'... seems too abrupt and doesnt fit with the other elements

ImpacT at 2.41 on January 12, 2011 08:27

okk this is too many drops... try three instead. one at 33, one at 65 and another at 97 if you like.. you'll find it works better

ImpacT at 4.00 on January 12, 2011 08:28

synth needs more variation, say 4 x 32 bar chunks to chop and change between in the song.. as do the drums.... it all gets a bit repetitive by here... sorry if that seems blunt- but you asked for feedback..

Overall- has potential, just needs more variation and way less compression on the master ;)

Last edited:
All I have is compression on the drums and the Fruity Limiter on the master, is the Fruity Limiter causing the song to sound too compressed? When I remove it, the song seems too quiet when I lower the master volume so its not going into the red.

Also, by high pitch fall do you mean the different chords being played after 1:37, or the single noise at like 1:35-1:37?

Thanks for the feedback too, very very helpful!

Last edited:
well, afaik- compression on your drums is one lot of comp'... and a limiter can sometimes have compression too- although I have never used fruity (depends on your compressor VST etc).
This means you have two lots of compression robbing your tune of dynamics... then on top of that if your levels are too high, you lose loads of headroom.
also, if your dynamics are crushed to begin with a tune can 'sound' overly compressed..

Here is what I do.. it may work for you- maybe not..

1. Remove the limiter and compressor from the master bus on the 'song'.
  2. Then I make it so that the loudest peak is -6db. I do this by simply turning down the master volume manually.
  3. check ur peak meters
  4. my master volume often sits around -10 to -15 (depends on the tune) with the peaks at -6db.
  5. I then mixdown.
  6. Then when I 'master' I use a combination of tools to get my tune back up to 0db
  7. Do NOT fiddle with the master volume for the 'master'! leave it at the default.
  8. check ur peak meters
This way you have at least 6db of dynamic headroom to give that polished pro sound. :rslayer:

btw- I meant the single noise.. couldnt quite make out what it was, only that it was very high pitched and hurt my ears.

Last edited:
Yeah mate, take of the FL Limiter, you'll just get problems of some sounds sounding suddenly quieter when other sounds kick in.
And yeah I never use anything but an frequency analyzer on my master, just to see how the spectrum looks.
Get is as flat as possible with about 6 dB headroom and you're ready to start the mastering process.

I'll then use some plugins like Izotope Ozone to get my levels back up to 0 dB.

Back
Top Bottom