Budget Mic for Vocals

djdevz

VIP Junglist
Im looking to buy a mic for my computer to record some vocals on..
my budget is under £150 and i dont have an audio interface...do I need one?

ive looked at a few and I like the Rode NT-1A but i need a phantom power and probably one of those pop filter things, so its gonna cost a lot.

Any good budget mics out there suitable for vocals?

Any mic is better than what I use currently (my iphone lool!), but I'm hoping to do more vocals in the future so i wanna future proof a bit.

Thanks in advance!

exactly what i was thinking...how much will a standard interface for a mac set me back? not really willing to shell out a load of money.

Are usb mics really shitty in comparison then?

Get a 58 man, can pick them up for about 50-60 bills in most places

Great mic, wont break on you and you will save some money.............

as Zeal said, the Shure sm58 ist the best vocalist mic ever, fact. Like technics are standard for club turntables, this mic is standard for live vocal performance.

---------- Post added at 01:24 ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 ----------

just reread original post. Hmmmm, if you're going to use it only in studio... There are better options then. Will have a look into the specs of that rode.

---------- Post added at 01:44 ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 ----------

specs are very good. If you buy it from that guy dedbult said, you gotta make sure you have the whole package though. The shockmount, pop screen and xlr cable.
That new seems even better though, because there's an integrated low cut filter you can turn on + you can switch it between cardioid, omnidirectional and bidirectional, which makes it useful in a bit more situations. For example, switch it to omni so you can record people singing together (although it's best to put voices together in production, but sometimes the sound of people singing together can be a lot better than putting them together afterwards). It can be used to record instruments too, like recording your own drums, or bringing in an original sound by hitting your lunchbox with a wooden spoon.

Don't know what the difference in price is though... It'll probably go over your budget, especially your case, where you still need an interface... So if you want a good studio mic for vocals, pick the nt1a, if you want your vocalist to use it live too, get the sm58, if you want to record more than just vocals or have the money, get the nt2.

Probably a whole lot of shit in your eyes, when you've been using the built in iphone mic so far :D

thanks for the advice ppl..

but with all those mics (rode, shure)..i need an audio interface right?
and looking at those im gonna have to double my budget if i want any of those mics

and 'motion audio' was saying there are some decent usb mics around these days..they compare well to the mics mentioned?
I'm liking the Samson G-TRACK USB Mic for its price and specs but i dont know much about mics

thanks for the advice ppl..

but with all those mics (rode, shure)..i need an audio interface right?
and looking at those im gonna have to double my budget if i want any of those mics

and 'motion audio' was saying there are some decent usb mics around these days..they compare well to the mics mentioned?
I'm liking the Samson G-TRACK USB Mic for its price and specs but i dont know much about mics

yeh man, depending on what mic you are getting you will need a interface. Inless you buy a USB jobber?

as Zeal said, a Sure SM58 is pretty good for the money, but I believe this is a condenser which will need an interface with phantom power.

yeh man, depending on what mic you are getting you will need a interface. Inless you buy a USB jobber?

as Zeal said, a Sure SM58 is pretty good for the money, but I believe this is a condenser which will need an interface with phantom power.

nope, dynamic.

What about this:

Interface: http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/alesis-io2-express-24-bit-usb-recording-interface--73023

Mic: http://www.dv247.com/microphones/shure-sm48-dynamic-vocal-microphone--28707

I believe that is all in your budget too :)

I've been using an SM57 for years now and it definitely gets the job done to a decent standard. I know 58's are better for vocals, but I did originally get my mic to record guitar cabs... but it's mostly used for vocals :D (I've gone all digital with my guitars).

The added bonus with dynamic mics over condensers is that dynamics aren't as sensitive, so you don't pick up as much of the rooms sound (I don't have a vocal booth, so I do all my recording in the same room as my computer... would probably sound crap if I had a condenser because the room isn't treated).

Condensers are also a bit fragile. I blew the diaphragm on my NT2 because I tried to do some foley recording outside and it captured a large gust of wind (I was stupid and I regret that...)

Back
Top Bottom