Best mic for recording noises for production

barnesy00

DJZeroZero
VIP Junglist
Im looking for a microphone to record stuff like drum hits etc but one you can take out and record onto then upload onto you computer anyone got any recommendations?
thanks

Microhpones suited for recording drums are quite diffrent to ones designed for other sounds, if you want to get the best out of the sound you'll need several mics for each of the diffrent drum types, and then more if you want to record vocals and instruments, you will probly find it less frustrating to use professionally sampled kits, if you really want to have a go at recording drums, you could book yourself into a studio for a few hours and pick the brains of the sound engineer for info, they are usually extremly geeky when it comes to stuff like this and will give you plenty of options and a fairly honest, if slightly fanatical review of pretty much any mic on the market

To be honest if you're gonna get a mic then I wouldn't bother getting a mic designed for a specific purpose. There really aren't that many that are designed SPECIFICALLY for one thing. The main ones that are designed around its recording purposes are kick drum mics. You can use nearly any mic for anything. Just so happens that some are better at recording certain things than others.

If you want a mic that can record anything and plug straight into your computer (vis USB) then the Samson C01U is fackin quality. It's a condenser mic, about £69 and is pretty robust for something of that price.

I've got one. Had it for years and it's really worked well all this time and not broken once. Just don't play anything too loud into it! Its pretty good for recording on the fly. Especially if you're somewhere with a a laptop and need something that's quick and easy to use.

edirol is really clear, records in wav (or as it states in HD, so i expect it means 96k or whatever). about £130 - 180 its got a stereo condenser mic. Havent looked at the zoom proper close, but it looks like it functions almost identically (cant find the metronome / tuner opt on edirol though).

Back
Top Bottom