Are SUB-BASS frequencies below 40Hz necessary?

erecsean

So, was having a bit of a debate with one of my mates who claims to know quite a fair bit about audio and mixdowns - when he critiqued a tune of mine he said I should be adding a sub layer to my bassline.

In my tune, what I considered to be the sub bass element of my tune, was the 51.91Hz (G#1) and was hitting at about -3db, with some note changes extending to A1 (55Hz) and A#1 (58.27Hz). In my mind this was what I referred to as the sub bass in my tune and was sufficient enough for weight..

He considered this to be bass and not sub-bass, and suggested that I need to add weight by introducing a layer of my bass an octave below what I already had considered to be the sub-bass of my tune..

i.e. this new layer of sub-bass notes would now be hitting at incredibly low frequencies - (23.12Hz to about 29.14Hz).

He wanted me to bring this layer up to about -6dB.

He argues that by introducing these SUB audible layers at a low level (about -6db), it would create an incredible pillowy effect that gives your tune incredible weight.

His claim was that if I was not using this spectrum of the audio I could not even begin to call my music DnB.

---

Now, i am still rather skeptical as to whether or not this is all necessary.. what are your opinions?

Cheers,
Sean

Just from me experimenting, I could feel from 20hz upwards, and below that barely felt. So if that is any use to you...

Oh and live, anything under 20hz should be cut off but studio wise it depends

Just from me experimenting, I could feel from 20hz upwards, and below that barely felt. So if that is any use to you...

Oh and live, anything under 20hz should be cut off but studio wise it depends
you can feel below 20 hz it just depends on the system....
anything below 70 hz i would considered " sub bass" i dont see why you would need a lower note below your pre existing sub layer as it might cause phasing .

If it sounds fine, it doesn't matter. But there are things about certain frequencies being dangerous if played loud enough, for example below 16hz.

Well, your mate is a bit of a duche by saying that "you can't even call your music DnB"... I've seen even dnb chiptunes, and some other tunes that didn't even had subs and where like amazing dnb...
Imo I'd call subbass everything that helps the bass sound higher in the low frequencies it sounds, in my experience, almost everything below 100hz - 150hz, but this may change between styles and people likings.
And to answer and clarify your thoughts (at least I hope to) EVERY frequency you boost or process in anyway(except if your processing consists on a bypass :teeth:) will affect the others. This is like too obvious but, sometimes you can even silence other frequencies by boosting the right ones.

Just tell your mate that there are no rules on music on "this should sound like this", and (imo imo inb4 "you shouldn't say that" imho that the freqs below 50hz-70hz, unless you have a friggin expensive studio, you won't be able to fiddle with these properly, imo imo imo.

i'd say (and a few big producers have) that anywhere below the low E on a keyboard (about 38hz) is pointless. if you play it on a small system it won't even register and it'l also make you mixdown alot quieter.

hitting anywhere from that E to the A is gonna sound good on a big rig.

Back
Top Bottom