how to make bass drum and sub bass mono in Reason 4

For subbass I use SubTractor, it has only one output where as Mälstrom and Thor have multiple outputs, I guess that's the easiest option. A real subbass isn't used for it's sound anyway so it doesn't really matter which device and the possibilities it comes with you use for it. The bass I layer over that one is almost always in SubTractor aswell, I just like it for that kind of stuff, while I mostly use Mälstrom for synths and pads.

For subbass I use SubTractor, it has only one output where as Mälstrom and Thor have multiple outputs, I guess that's the easiest option. A real subbass isn't used for it's sound anyway so it doesn't really matter which device and the possibilities it comes with you use for it. The bass I layer over that one is almost always in SubTractor aswell, I just like it for that kind of stuff, while I mostly use Mälstrom for synths and pads.

I have yeah wobble sound,bitcrushed + format filter... can I make sub for it in sub tracktor? I mean,sub tractor doesnt have that custom multiple filter interface,you cant put there format filtering ( when making format filter yeah wobble,do I need to use format filter for sub too,or is it better when I dont use it on sub ?)

to make things mono, go add a MClass Stereo Imager and turn both knobs (low freqs and high freqs) to zero. That will get your sound mono.
Actually, Subtractor, Mallstrom and Thor outputs are in mono.

to make things mono, go add a MClass Stereo Imager and turn both knobs (low freqs and high freqs) to zero. That will get your sound mono.

thor isnt mono,you can swith left/right balance button.How can I turn it into mono? I need to know how to make mono redrum too,

Each OSC in Mälstrom produces a mono sound, but when you connect the outputs to a mixer it's not mono anymore I think, hence why there are 2 outputs, a left and right one.. or am I completely wrong here?
And how exactly does cutting frequencies turn a sound mono? I don't know that much about production yet but I can't seem to get that one :p.

---------- Post added at 07:43 ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 ----------

thor isnt mono,you can swith left/right balance button.How can I turn it into mono? I need to know how to make mono redrum too,
Thor has a mono/left and right output so jup, it's a matter of choice there. To get a mono sound (never done this myself so corect me if I'm wrong): connect the mono/left output from thor to the first input on a Spider Audio Merger/Splitter, from there connect two cables from the outputs behind the first arrows on the Spider to your mixer. I think that should do it. Crappy explanation :teeth: .

Oh, for Redrum it's pretty much the same, it's got mono/left outputs too, for Mälstrom you can try the same thing using your OSC output to a Spider, not sure if that works but it's worth a try :) .

And for the subbass, actually a standard subbass is just a sine wave in a low octave, like C1-C2, I don't think you're supposed to mess a lot with that, for the real sound, play another bass/synth with the same notes, or play them one octave higher than your subbass and see how that sounds.

Hope this helps :) .
Sidus

You can also just plug the left wire in the back and not the right wire, that also keeps in mono

but what neomind said about using the stereo imager and doing it that way also works and is what i do

Guys, just plug the left (MONO) cable into the mixer only. Thats why on the back of most instruments it says left (MONO).

If you have a stereo sample then you can use the Mclass Stereo Imager to either make it more MONO (fine tune the low end of a sample for example) or enhance the stereo effect even more..

by the way,can you explain to me what exactly this mono legato mono retrig and polyphony does? there also some auto portamento knob,enlight me

If you have a synth sound that is really rasping at the start and mellows out you can set the synth to mono legato so when you play overlapping notes, the sound of the new notes will sound mellow. If its set to mono retrig the synth will play all notes played, whether overlapping or not, from the start of the synth sound so you will get that rasping sound at the start no matter what sequence of notes you play.
Polyphony is just the number of voices the synth is producing. Handy for nice thick sounding pads. Not very handy for basslines as you want it in mono or 1 voice.
The portamento makes the notes played bend either up or down to the next note you've played. Say you play a C2 note then a C3 note, the sound will almost pitch bend automatically to C3 when you press the C3 key.

If you have a synth sound that is really rasping at the start and mellows out you can set the synth to mono legato so when you play overlapping notes, the sound of the new notes will sound mellow. If its set to mono retrig the synth will play all notes played, whether overlapping or not, from the start of the synth sound so you will get that rasping sound at the start no matter what sequence of notes you play.
Polyphony is just the number of voices the synth is producing. Handy for nice thick sounding pads. Not very handy for basslines as you want it in mono or 1 voice.
The portamento makes the notes played bend either up or down to the next note you've played. Say you play a C2 note then a C3 note, the sound will almost pitch bend automatically to C3 when you press the C3 key.

muchos gracias amigos :D

I make my basslines in Thor with usually about 3 or 4 voices, so not MONO! This way you can really make that filthy basses, but don't forget to slam an EQ on it and get the low end off.
Then I'll make another Thor for the low-end, with only one voice and slightly compressed. I never add my wobbles with the inbuild LFO in Thor, why not?
Well because I found out that when using the LFO for the wobble, after putting on 2 or 3 distortions the wobble is not as defined anymore.
So I'll always create a fully sustained bass/synth sound, layer the low-end underneath it and then create a nice sub-bass for it.
The last but not least I'll throw in a LP filter to make the wobble by drawing in the automation manually, that way you've got a lot more control.

In the end I'll use the Stereo Imager to make the low end of my bass mono.

im going to be lairy now, does reason have a sampler? does it have a lowpass filter? can you pitch samples down or up in reason?

Reason has 2 samplers. NN-19 and NN-XT. The NN-19 is just a basic sampler, the NN-XT is an advanced multi sampler with great control.

Back
Top Bottom