new monitors

[/COLOR]On a side note, 'nice monitors' are no crack without some sufficient acoustic treatment. It's like getting a Ferrari and taking it down the local grease monkey to get it serviced. Ya dig.

better than driving a 1980's toyota and not even getting to the local grease monkey to get it serviced..

it surely affects them, but lets be honest. a pair of displaced monitors are waaaay better than any hifi/pc/whatever boxes and give you a way better feeling of your tune than 99% of all headphones.

Theyre better for the job of course, but not by the amount you'd think unless theyre set up decently. Doesnt mean to say you need to go on a mad one and have White Mark design and build you a room, but just a few little things can make all the difference. Without any treatment at all, the response you get from your monitors will be far from what theyre designed for, meaning you make decisions for your mix based on false hearings, so when it does find its way to hi-fi speakers, it wont translate well.

Kama, tried to fill ye port with some material? A mastering engineer I know did this to improve bass response.

I'll be getting Adams next I reckon, I'm so used to the ribbons on my r5a's now.

Kama, tried to fill ye port with some material? A mastering engineer I know did this to improve bass response.

I'll be getting Adams next I reckon, I'm so used to the ribbons on my r5a's now.

LOL yeah I've tried that. My cat got interested in the cloth and snatched it out. He then proceeded to try and snatch out the tweeter cone in the same fashion.

It is only the other one that makes that strange bass thing so I'm thinking it's gonna blow up soon or my mixer's other main out has a problem.

But The Sock method does work, forgot all about that. Might try it again. Thanks for the reminder.

jbl-lsr2325p-460-80.jpg

B

The system is specified flat within ±2dB from 50Hz to 20kHz, and the response is 10dB down at 40Hz and 23.5kHz

can anyone explain what this means?

can anyone explain what this means?
Flat response means that the monitors are not boosting or cutting any cetrtain frequencies, therefore colouring the mix. I'm not up on monitor specs, but +/- 2db sounds pretty flat.

Many monitors roll off lower than 50 hz, more or less. So in this case I guess the roll off is not that steep, and 40 and 23.5 hertz are still being produced, just 10db down on the input level.

Flat response means that the monitors are not boosting or cutting any cetrtain frequencies, therefore colouring the mix. I'm not up on monitor specs, but +/- 2db sounds pretty flat.

Many monitors roll off lower than 50 hz, more or less. So in this case I guess the roll off is not that steep, and 40 and 23.5 hertz are still being produced, just 10db down on the input level.

so with these specific monitors the output is between 0-10dB quieter between 40-50Hz and 20-23.5kHz?

does that mean anything higher/lower than these ranges gets quieter and quieter until no sound is output? i never understood that 'roll off' was to be taken in the literal sense!

does that mean anything higher/lower than these ranges gets quieter and quieter until no sound is output? i never understood that 'roll off' was to be taken in the literal sense!

Pretty much yea (y). Might be easier to understand if you look at it drawn as a graph.

Pretty much yea (y). Might be easier to understand if you look at it drawn as a graph.

ye they finally made sense. i have been trying to decide which monitors to buy for about 8 months.
today, i'm torn between

alesis m1 mk2
#freq response 45Hz - 22kHz
#6.5" woofer

and

samson r5a
#58Hz - 27kHz
#5" woofer

i was set on the samsons cos i heard great things about the ribon tweeters and that they have a really good mid/high end. trouble is i have always produced with a sub and i want to keep as much bass as possible when i switch to monitors so im leaning towards the alesis. it would be interesting to here what sounds lie at these high/low limits

ye they finally made sense. i have been trying to decide which monitors to buy for about 8 months.
today, i'm torn between

alesis m1 mk2
#freq response 45Hz - 22kHz
#6.5" woofer

and

samson r5a
#58Hz - 27kHz
#5" woofer

i was set on the samsons cos i heard great things about the ribon tweeters and that they have a really good mid/high end. trouble is i have always produced with a sub and i want to keep as much bass as possible when i switch to monitors so im leaning towards the alesis. it would be interesting to here what sounds lie at these high/low limits

Dont just count on what the box quotes, try to have a listen if you can, after all, listening to the monitors will be what your doing when you've got them, so it makes sense to base your decision on that.

And remember that a lot of bass in small/untreated rooms isnt a good thing, I always think your better off without a sub unless some planning goes into your rooms acoustics.

Dont just count on what the box quotes, try to have a listen if you can, after all, listening to the monitors will be what your doing when you've got them, so it makes sense to base your decision on that.

And remember that a lot of bass in small/untreated rooms isnt a good thing, I always think your better off without a sub unless some planning goes into your rooms acoustics.

ye for sure, when im back in the uk im gonna go round an test some out. iv always worked on logitech desktop speakers with sub (oh the shame), and when i make the switch i want to work without a sub, hence why im looking to hand on to the bass

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

sounds nutty

hahaha my mate had one of those in his car before, that shit would massage the seats

Back
Top Bottom