Glade Festival Cancelled

Rezin

Freeze Motherfucker
http://www.gladefestival.com/news/?p=72

With great sadness we have been forced to cancel the Glade Festival 2010.

When we started back in 2004 we did so out of a love of electronic music, free spiritedness and alternative culture and in response to the vibrant free party scene in the UK. We wanted to have our own version of the kind of colourful, creative and non-corporate events that happen in many places across the planet… Looking back it is amazing that it happened.

As many Glade fans will know over the years we have fought hard to maintain the integrity of the event against steadily increasing restrictions imposed by local authority and police. The resulting compromises have led to increased costs, increased ticket prices and a throttling of the very essence of what we wanted to do. It led to us finally having to move from the lovely Wasing estate due to late night noise restrictions and the police’s demands for an ever-increasing security and police presence at the event.

At our new venue, Matterley Bowl, there has actually been some amazing support from the local council who’s officers recognize the professional and co-operative way we run the event and the contribution to the local area and the country’s cultural diversity. They have worked with us to ensure the Glade is a safe and enjoyable event and openly recognize that we have one of the best event management teams in the country to do this.

However this year the requirements imposed upon us for policing, security and stewarding have been greatly increased. To make matters worse the reluctance of the police to negotiate in advance and deliberately delay any dialogue with us has resulted in our being unable to tie down a final costing for the event. This, along with unexpected legal fees associated with a last minute license review, has radically increased the cost of the festival.

We are an independent, sponsorship free event. The ethos of the Glade is to provide a place where people can safely come and express themselves freely and peacefully, dance and be in the countryside with the music they love without a heavy urban police and security presence. We strive to put on the most diverse and interesting festival we can by spending a large part of the budget on the ambience of the event and by having multiple stages with music from a myriad of both established and up and coming artists, musicians and djs from the many genres of the thriving underground electronic music scene.

Faced with what is already an expensive event to put on and with these unexpected forced increases in security and police costs as well as a level of advanced ticket sales that is below our expectations we have no choice but to do the responsible thing and cancel the event.

We have explored every way we can to keep the event going and, unfortunately, have been unable to find a solution. We have been unable to secure sufficient financial backing and scaling back the event, to a level where we can be confident we could pay all our bills, would mean losing smaller venues and the quirkiness that make up the heart and soul of the festival.

We’d like to send our thanks and love to all musicians, artists, crew and fans that have made the Glade what it was. We appreciate all the support and love over the years. It has been a brilliant trip and there’s been some beautiful moments in time but for now we can’t go on. We hope that this is not the end of the story and we will continue to strive to create a genuine grass roots, community based, control free, true spirited dance festival in the UK.

To all those who have bought tickets to this years event, please go to the point of purchase to claim back a refund.

If you have bought your tickets from Ticketline, either directly or by buying tickets on Glade’s website, please contact Ticketline’s customer services by email at customerservices@ticketline.co.uk or by phone on 0844 888 4409 who will refund you for the face value of your the ticket. Booking fees will be retained as an admin fee.

We are in talks with other festivals that we feel you will be interested in as Glade festival goers about the possibility of swapping your ticket for another festival at a discounted rate. We will be in touch as soon as possible, so please wait until then before applying for your refund.

Well that's a shame. I had been thinking about going aswell. Glad I never bought tickets.

i bought tickets and boats cos im in jersey, fuckin joke dont think they will refund the boats either

What the fuck. I didn't have tickets but shit like this should not be happening. Sometimes i wonder what the fuck will happen to music over the next 100 years

I am distraught, easily the best festival around with amazing atmosphere and music. Last year was raving from 12pm to 6am every day and saw no trouble. This years lineup was massive featuring Friction, Ed Rush, Danny byrd, london elek, Adam F, brookes brothers, dj zinc, skream & benga, redlight, doorly and loads more. Was looking forward to this so much.

Then 14 residents complain, force a license review and the police raise the cost of security by £100,000, bleeding the money out of the organisers. Disgrace

What an arse.

It's a pity as Glade had a nice vibe - obviously the police at Matterly Bowl (Hampshire) are onto them - remember going to Homelands in '03 there and they were doing random stop & search of cars at the entrance, had 'drug amnesty bins' on the walk to the bowl then had single file past sniffer dogs at the gate - there were a lot of worried faces! Plus when we left to get back to london at around 1am they were setting up some serious road block search type affair - pretty scary.

So it's the coppers fault.

No the organisers have said they plan to organise Glade 2011 despite this,

what happened to Homelands then? Sounds like it had the same problems as Glade

Dumb thing is, the filth/authorities just push parties underground & lose out on any potential revenue they could bleed out of promoters/organisers & lose the ability to actively Police/Monitor them...

Utter Spengs.

Never been but this is one of the Festivals I really wanted to head downt to. I say we hold a Teknival at Matterley Bowl instead in Glades honour :teeth:

ahhh thats a joke round the corner from me too wos bang on this, thats the second festi the police hav fucked over i wonted to go to, shame relly wen thers gd vibes nd no trouble absolute cunts, as scatcat said if its like this now wonder wot sort of monitering they will wont at festivals etc in 50 years....fuck the system

Never been but this is one of the Festivals I really wanted to head downt to. I say we hold a Teknival at Matterley Bowl instead in Glades honour :teeth:

you aint the first one to suggest this, a sit in has been suggested too, as have flashmobs in Winchester. Currently the strongest idea is a massive free rave somewhere in Hampshire, already got about 8 separate companies donating 40kw Funktion One soundsystems and many of the original Glade lineup are happy to DJ for free. Id love to go to an illegal rave, sounds wicked :teeth:

Also, another Castlemorton Common festival is being planned for May 2012. The last one in 1992 lasted a week and 20,000 - 40,000 people turned up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlemorton_Common_Festival

Best UK festival has to be Creamfield or Gatecrasher

if you like a shit atmosphere, expensive tickets, expensive food & drink, shit soundsystems, tight sound restrictions, crime and dickheads

then yeah sure

best UK festivals..

Back
Top Bottom